Delicious Pumpkin Pecan Cupcakes
You have to try these Pumpkin Pecan Cupakes! For awhile now I’ve been thinking about making pumpkin cupcakes. Now that pumpkin season has started again it’s time to put these thoughts into real cupcakes. After some testing and tweaking I came up with a good cupcake, but after adding some pecans in the mix, together with a fresh topping, the cupcakes were just absolutely delicious!
Making Pumpkin Pecan Cupcakes
Here’s what you need:
Yogurt, caster sugar, brown sugar, self-raising flour, eggs, roasted pecans, grated pumpkin ( I used butternut squash), butter, spiced golden rum, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg for the cupcake. And for the topping you’re going to use a fresh ginger and cinnamon buttercream.
First of, preparation, make sure you fill your muffin tin with paper cups.
Lightly crush your pecans. Just crush them with your hands, don’t crush too much. Make sure you keep a few pecans to put on top of your cupcakes.
Put butter into the bowl of an electric mixer.
Add your sugars.
Add the spiced golden rum and start mixing till creamy.
Meanwhile, add nutmeg, cardamom and cinnamon to the flour.
And mix your dry ingredients.
In another bowl, mix ginger and grated pumpkin.
In another bowl (or jug) add yogurt to your eggs.
Lightly whisk the yogurt with the eggs.
Add the half of the egg mixture to the creamy butter and mix till fully incorporated on a medium speed.
Next, add half of the flour to the mixture and mix till it’s fully incorporated.
Now add the rest of the egg mixture and mix till incorporated.
And add the rest of the flour to the batter and mix till fully incorporated.
Now it’s time to add the main ingredient, the pumpkin, to the batter. For some strange reason this pumpkin didn’t want to be photographed, no matter what I did, my camera wouldn’t focus on the pumpkin, so all I can give you is a blurry pumpkin photo, just imagine it in focus…
Mix for another couple of seconds and you’ll end up with this lovely batch of pumpkin batter.
Fill your prepared muffin tin with the batter.
Fill them all up to about 2/3.
To make them proper pumpkin pecan cupcakes it’s time to add the pecans. Top the batter with some of the crushed pecans.
And it’s into the oven they go!
Now don’t they just look gorgeous already? But wait! There’s more…
Now you take those pumkin pecan cupcakes and top them with your delicious fresh ginger and cinnamon buttercream and finish it off with some of the pecans you kept aside.
Hmmmm, yummy, don’t you just want to bite in that right now? The beautiful soft pumpkin combined with the light crunch of the pecans and the fresh topping make these pumpkin pecan cupcakes absolutely delicious!
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||25-30 minutes|
- 3 eggs
- 250 g butter soft
- 160 g caster sugar fine sugar
- 60 g light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp spiced golden rum
- 130 g pumpkin grated (I used butternut squash)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ginger grated (or powdered ginger)
- 50 ml yoghurt
- 200 g self-raising flour sifted
- 30 g pecans roasted
- 250 g buttercream Cakies' Classic Buttercream
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F. Prepare a muffin tin or a baking tray with 15-20 paper cups.
- Mix butter, sugar and rum in a mixer on medium speed.
- Crush the pecans into little pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and add yoghurt.
- In another bowl, combine flour with the other dry ingredients (cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom).
- In another bowl, combine grated pumpkin with ginger.
- When the butter mixture is creamy, add half the egg mixture to it. When the egg mixture is incorporated into the butter mixture add half the flour. Once the flour is incorporated into the batter add the other half of the egg mixture and the other half of the flour in the same way.
- Next, add the pumpkin to the batter. Mix for another half minute and fill the paper cups with the batter.
- Place a few of the crushed pecans on top of each cupcake, pushing it very lightly into the batter.
- Bake the cupcakes in the centre of the oven for about 25-30 minutes until they firm up. The cupcakes are ready when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let them cool for a while and put them on a wire rack.
- Mix the cinnamon, ginger and lemon with the buttercream.
- Finish the cupcakes with a topping of cinnamon and ginger buttercream and a whole pecan on top.
For the buttercream you can use Cakies' Classic Buttercream recipe.