Apple Speculaas Spice Crescents
I came up with these Apple Speculaas Spice Crescents after I had some left over mini crescents dough, apples and a little bit of almond paste. I hate letting things go to waste so I decided to combine it all into a nice little treat. I used speculaas spice mix for this recipe but you can substitute that for pumpkin pie spice mix, or alternatively, just use cinnamon. Speculaas Spice is a traditional Dutch spice mix which has similarities with the North American pumpkin pie spice mix. Speculaas is also known as Speculoos. It’s really easy to make your own speculaas spice mix. I also used some homemade almond paste in this recipe which I had left over.
Making Apple Speculaas Spice Crescents
You’ll need mini crescents dough, almond paste, an apple, sugar and speculaas spice mix (can be substituted with pumpkin pie spice mix or cinnamon). Missing on this photo is milk and cane sugar which you’ll need as well to make the crescents look extra pretty. (The full list of ingredients including measurements can be found in the recipe card below.)
Peel and dice your apple into little cubes. The apple cubes will be the filling of your mini crescents so don’t make them too big.
Add sugar to the apple cubes.
Add your speculaas spice mix.
Mix it all together till all apple cubes are coated.
Take you mini crescent dough.
Add a teaspoon of almond paste.
And about a teaspoon or two of the apple mixture.
Roll up the crescents, make sure to tuck in the apple and almond mixture.
The crescents may not look perfect, but don’t worry. They’ll look fine once they’re baked.
At this point you can brush some milk on the crescents and sprinkle some cane sugar on top of the crescents. The milk is optional though, you can also just sprinkle the sugar on top without brushing the crescents with milk.
Transfer the stuffed apple speculaas spice crescents on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake till golden.
You’ll end up with a beautiful batch of mini apple speculaas spice crescents.
Serve them as a snack or for breakfast or brunch.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 1 can mini crescent dough makes 24 mini crescents
- 1/2 apple peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Speculaas Spice Mix or Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix (to taste)
- 1/4 cup almond paste 65 g
- milk optional - to brush crescents
- cane sugar optional - to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Peel an finely dice the apple. Mix sugar and speculaas spice (or pumpkin pie spice) with the apple and mix until all of the apple cubes are coated.
- Take out your mini crescent dough and add 1 teaspoon of almond paste to each crescent triangle.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of the apple mixture on top of the almond paste and roll the crescent dough over the filling and into a crescent shape.
- Transfer the stuffed crescents to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and brush with some milk. Sprinkle some of the cane sugar on top
- Bake the crescents approximately 5-8 minutes, till golden.
Please note that the cup measurements in this recipe are approximate. I have added cups for those that prefer using cups. The recipe is most accurate using weight/metric measurements.
- If you don't have Speculaas Spice Mix you can use Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix or cinnamon instead.
- Check https://www.cakieshq.com/recipe/speculaas-spice-mix/ to create your own Speculaas Spice Mix.
- If you don't have mini crescent dough you can also use this filling to make bigger crescents.
My friend used up her cranberrys instead of apples and cream cheese instead of the almond paste. They were very good also! Could use most any combo but really go for almond paste!!!
Your friend’s combination sounds delicious as well. I’m glad you enjoyed it!